Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Cell Confusion




O.K. I know I am an alien or something...but...I have not had a cell for about a year. My husband lost his job a few months ago shortly after I was in the car accident in December. We just didn't have the money for $100 a month for 2 phones and such, and the local phone landlines were only about $10 a month, so we said ciao! to the cells.

Now that I finally have transportation again after 5 months with no car (god it takes lawyers and insurance companies forever!) we are thinking about taking a trip to OH to see our family. So, this makes me nervous to travel without a cell, it is a 13 hour drive :( So I think I should at least get a pre-paid one or something. I don't need anything awesome or fancy, something simple for now. Money is beyond tight, it is non-existent right now in our house, so I need to hunt wisely.

The thought of checking online with the 8-billion cell adds makes me cringe! So I am turning to you blog world to see what you think. Does anybody out there know of a really simple, really basic, prepaid cell of some sort that they actually use for travel and only pretty much that? I would rather ask actual people then those just trying to sell me something. I used to have a Virgin prepaid when our son was first born and it was o.k., not sure if they are still good though. I really don't want to spend $100 a month, just a few bucks to keep it going if I have to, so we have it every so many months when we go see family, and to have for job interviews. I am on the hunt for a new position, so I may be traveling to search for a new job in other states or commuting daily 1 hour or so if I get something in Chicago. I basically just want to call family from the road with an ETA, have it for roadside emergency calls to AAA, or if some other emergency would happen to us along the way.

So if anybody has some good ideas I would love your thoughts!

And so it goes...

5 comments:

Maryann said...

Hi, I got your post on my blog (Matthews Puzzle) and I wanted to get back to you. Yes, I have read all of Jenny's books except the latest which she co-wrote with her Defeat Autism Now! doctor. I got into biomedical interventions for my son because of seeing her on Oprah about 2 years ago and it is the best thing I ever did. Now Matthew is well on his way to recovery. I started Matthew's Puzzle to try to get the word out that autism is treatable and many children can get better if not even recover. Thanks for dropping by my blog!

Ziggy Stardust said...

My daughter bought me a cell phone a few years ago and it is a Nokia phone but I use Virgin Mobile prepaid. I love it. I only use it for emergencies. I have it set up with Virgin Mobile if my balance gets below $5.00 they automatically refill it so. The minutes always roll over. I have had it for a couple of years, it doesn't take pictures or anything fancy but I love it. I like pre-paid, Virgin Mobile makes it easy. Please stay away from Net10, we got it for my husband and it is hard to refill.
Hope it helped Anne

EmFabulousFunshine said...

we got my grandma a pay-per-use phone at walmart for when she's on the road....inexpensive and very easy to use

Native American Momma said...

Well, my dad went to Target and got a cell phone, it was a Samsung flip with a camera and it came with a like $10.00 and they were just on the shelf in packages like that perhaps you could start there?
The only think that really bites about the T-Mobile prepaid is that the minutes expire in 3 months unless you spend 100 and they expire in a year then

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

I don't have any good recommendations for you, but it sounds like a pre-paid cell would be the perfect solution for your situation. It's so frustrating that there is no such thing as pay phones any more. The other day I was watching a move with a phone booth in it - I imagined trying to explain phone booths to my daughter - by the time she old enough to understand, there will be no more land linesgo

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)