Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Review: The Tender Bar by J.R. Moehringer


Memoir, non-fiction.  O.K., not earth shattering, but not as horrible as many reviews said it was when I looked it up.  I thought it was a fine, easy, light read.  I think the way he told his coming-of-age story was sweet and endearing; however, others I spoke to, who had very unhappy run-ins with alcohol in their family, did not look too favorably on him spending so much time in the bar.  I think it was quaint and I liked how he explained the connections he made to the various men in the bar and what he learned from them growing up.  I thought it was a slice of Americana, and I enjoyed his reflections on what it meant for him to have some sort of male role models, since his father was never there for him, throughout his entire life.

And so it goes...  

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)