Friday, October 17, 2014

Book Review: The Orchid Thief by Susan Orlean


Non-fiction.  I read this for the non-fiction book club at my local library (February 2014).  Let me start by saying this is nothing like the movie "Adaptation" which was supposedly based on this book.  The book is nothing like "Adaptation," I did not like "Adaptation," and this book was great fun.  I never knew there were so many kinds of orchids out there, the laws related to them, or how really funny and obsessed plant people can be, it was a great read!  The main person she followed is definitely a character, he is weird, shady, and definitely obsessive (and insults everybody he meets).  I now feel much better about my tiny love for gardening.  I also now see what obsession really is, and I now have a much greater appreciation for orchids.  After reading this book, when I see them in the store for $20 or less, it does not seem like that much to pay.  The orchid collecting wars that happened earlier in history blew my mind, I had absolutely no knowledge of that before reading this book.  They really are fascinating, and I can see how people become so engaged with collecting them.  Not enough that I am going to start harvesting them and keeping them my bathroom shower like some of these people in the book, but enough that I definitely take the time to look at them and wish that I had a few of my own.

And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)