Sunday, May 24, 2015

Book Review: Fall of Giants by Ken Follett

Historical Fiction.  I honestly cannot remember why I hunted this one down, I think as part of my quest to read more about WWI, and in a way that was not just a dry list of facts.  I thought it was an excellent read, but it is rather large compared to the regular popular fiction book, so unless you are in it for a 700+ page read then you might want to move on.  I also did not buy into the several promiscuous moments stolen in libraries and such, it just did not fit the mores of the time, maybe the sneaking off with the maid, but not the women of title.

I think the book definitely helps put the time around WWI in perspective for readers, even though it is fiction, perhaps because it is fiction.  You do not have to obsess about timelines so much as focus on how those from the top of society down to the bottom were involved, and how it changed them and life in the modern world forever.  You get perspectives from people in England, Russia, and the U.S., and that helped clarify for me why the U.S. did not want to be involved, afraid that they would become the policemen of the world for every future conflict.

I would recommend this if you are interested in historical fiction, WWI, or are looking for a longer and more involved read.  This is the first of a trilogy of books with these people and their families.  I have not moved on to the other two yet, I have to find the big chunks of time to do so, and there are other books I want to read for a while first.  It is hard to invest so much time all at once in war stories, it drains you, so I am going to dole them out slowly.

And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)