Sunday, May 24, 2015

Book Review: Deeply Odd by Dean Koontz

Fiction.  After a friend of mine's boyfriend told me I should check out Dean Koontz because I love Stephen King's work, I looked up which works people seem to like best by Koontz and this is the series I saw cited the most often.  So, over time, I have been working my way through the Odd Thomas books.  I have a bit of a gap between 5 to 6 and 7 because of waiting for the library to get eBook copies of them and because the last one wasn't published until December 2014.  So, Deeply Odd, is number 6/7 of the Odd Thomas series.

This one is the attempt to rev up the action before the final installment.  As I have said before, this is Stephen King light, the writing off Koontz is nowhere near as good, I think they are compared simply because both have elements of the supernatural in their works, but that is where the comparison ends.  I like the character of Odd, I like the little adventures, I like the ideas of the supernatural and good versus evil in the works, but the constant repetition gets tiresome, and you kind of read while thinking "just get on with it already!"  I did absolutely love the woman he drove around, Mrs. Edie Fischer, she was one of the most fun and refreshing characters to come around in the series in some time.

If you are like me and are determined to finish the series go for it, it does have some playing with other dimensions, Annamaria is still here and still pregnant, Mrs. Fischer is cool, but be warned, the evil guys have evil plans for the children, and that is disturbing to anybody.  Quite creepy and evil.

And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)