Friday, December 5, 2014

Book Review: Love Anthony by Lisa Genova


Fiction.  I really enjoy Lisa Genova's books, you know you are reading the words of a medical authority and an excellent writer, not an easy combination to find in fiction.  I was a little worried I would not enjoy this, since the reviews I read had people stating their disappointment, or often their love for it because they have a child with autism.  I do not have a child with autism and I was not disappointed with the book; however, I do agree that Still Alice and Left Neglected were better books.  

I still would recommend reading this book, but I would be remiss if I did not state that the other novels were better.  Part of this, I think, is the glowing humor she had in her last book, Left Neglected, and that is not present in this work.  The writing in Love Anthony is still stellar though, you have no problem picturing everything she describes, but I did find the coincidences between the woman writing the novel about a boy with autism (Beth) and the woman whose son died a little hokey (Olivia).  The whole question if he was speaking through her or random coincidence just did not ring true.  Overall though, I would recommend this book.

And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)