Saturday, March 16, 2013

Book Review: Third World America by Arianna Huffington


Read for "Real World Reads" non-fiction book club at Crystal Lake Public Library for March 2013.

     The woman is a genius, I am ready to elect her right now!   A lot of what is in this book I have been saying for years, and I was very surprised.  I thought this was one of this years book club reads that I was not going to like when I read the title.  I do not know much about her, but I will start paying attention to her now and I will start looking at The Huffington Post online (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/).  I thought she was spot-on about the issues, how they arose, and had some very smart ideas on how to fix the mess.  I found her willing to poke at people on both sides of the aisle in Washington, but more importantly, she looked at the root causes of the issues and not just the symptoms.  She did not spend all of her time blaming politicians but looked at the key figures, organizations, banks, and other factors that are the real causes.  I think every politician needs to read this book and every voter as well: we elect them, they should speak for us and act in our interests, not in the interests of lobbyists and corporations.  I am excited for the book club discussion coming up this Tuesday.  This should make for a great jumping-off point for some discourse on these serious issues.


And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)