Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Book Review: The Beekeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King


This was a book club read for my local library before I joined in June of 2010 that I read on my own to catch up later on (orig. they read it for 2/2010). I am normally not a big mystery reader nor have I read everything by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, but I really enjoyed this book! I would like to read more in the series but there always seems to be so many things to read and so little free time on my hands!

The book is about a young woman named Mary Russell who becomes a sort of apprentice to Sherlock Holmes in his later years after he is retired. There are fun passages with danger and disguises, classic characters like Watson, and of course mysteries to solve. She is a great character because she is not just a bumbling sidekick but an equal to Holmes, so less of an apprentice at times and more of an equal getting some tips. She is not a typical woman of the times the story is set in (1915 England), with her intelligence level, wearing of pants, and her audacious nature.

I would definitely recommend this to lovers of mystery and Sherlock Holmes but also to those who, like me, might not necessarily be hardcore sleuth fans!

And so it goes...

No comments:

Blog Awards

Here are a few awards this blog has received thanks to some kind folks!

Friends and Favorites Award

Friends and Favorites Award
given 05/20/2009 by SquirrelQueen (http://squirrelqueen2.blogspot.com/)

One Lovely Blog Award

One Lovely Blog Award
given on 07/23/2009 by Juanita (http://juanitaharris.blogspot.com/)